Saturday, February 27, 2010

Sushi. Oh, how I love sushi.

Here's a conundrum for you to chew on: I love sushi with a passion, but I won't eat cooked fish. Won't touch it with a ten-foot pole.

Feel free to mull over that for a minute before moving on. Ready? Okay.

I've had sushi at a lot of different places, both in and out of the city. There is good sushi and there is bad sushi... and then, once in a while, there is some seriously awesome sushi. This is that kind of sushi.

Mixx Asian Bistro
1002 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
(215) 923-1190




They're affordable, they have a huge selection, and everything there is very, very good.

Mixx is tucked in the middle of Chinatown on a part of the street that smells absolutely heavenly. The outside of the building doesn't look like much; a door beside a window, a dark interior only somewhat visible through the glass. Don't let it fool you. Go inside.

You will immediately be presented with a choice: do you want to order a la carte, or do the all-you-can-eat option? You can ask for both menus to peruse your options before making the decision. I like the variety offered by the all-you-can-eat, but if you're really aching for something on the other menu (or don't think you'll eat your money's worth) by all means, go for the a la carte.

I've been to Mixx so many times that I have a regular order, which the wait staff knows, and I rarely deviate from what I've deemed delectable. The salmon here is some of the best I've had, and the tuna is always a sure bet. I have a friend who swears by the mackerel. The tempura rolls are decent, though far from the best on the menu. The miso soup that comes with the all-you-can-eat is good, and the salad is light, with a dressing that helps set you up for your meal. I haven't had too many of their special rolls, but from what I have experienced, I'd say they're probably all great. Just stay away from the fried banana roll.

The all-you-can-eat is $24 a person. They give you a special menu from which you can order (a two-sided piece of 8-1/2x11 paper with extensive listings) and it includes a miso soup or salad. The a la carte begins at $4 for two pieces of sushi or sashimi and $3 for a roll. They serve other things as well, so if you're in the mood for some great sushi but are with some non-believers, Mixx can stay on the list. There's a menu posted over at philly.com, but I was unable to verify how recently it's been updated. (It looks pretty close to what I remember of the menu.)

I recommend parking a block over on Filbert - it's a lot easier to find a spot near the bus station than right in front of the building. Also, be careful to check where you park - sometimes they don't mark the handicapped spots very well, and that's a big, sad ticket at the end of an awesome meal.

So, what's your favorite sushi place in or around Philly? Anywhere I should avoid? What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment