Friday, March 5, 2010

Good old home-style cookin'.

I figured it out! Pictures! Woohoo!

So I thought that my first-ever recipe post should be about something that I love, something that has significance, something that might remind you all of your own childhood...

..so I chose meatloaf and garlic bread.


Yes, meatloaf. The word itself is a mystery; though it's quite an appropriate moniker, nobody really wants to eat a loaf of meat. A side of beef, sure, or perhaps a chicken breast or pork shop. But meat loaf? Come on.

This is the dish that I taste whenever I think about it. Everyone has had it, for better or for worse, but rarely is the dish the same from person to person - everyone makes it differently. Some make it spicy, some sweet, some savory. I make my mother's meatloaf and my father's meatloaf (two very, very different creations) all at once, and I love it.

This is my mother's recipe because it was she who first taught me about meatloaf. I still use, for the most part, her proportions and basic ingredient list. It is also my father's recipe because I take a very clean-out-the-pantry approach to meatloaf; that is, with the exception of a few basic ingredients, I have no problem swapping out one thing for another, or using chopped where I usually use fresh.

I tacked garlic bread on here because I love garlic. It is, hands down, my favorite flavor/seasoning/spice, whichever you choose to call it. I heart me some garlic, and I love bread, so I pair this easy side with lots of meals. (Or with no meal. With just hungry me.)

I'm going to caution you now: neither of these recipes really has measurements. It's really a to-taste science in my household. I will, however, do the best I can for you; if you try it and think "Hmm, this is really missing some ___," the spirit of the recipe is to go ahead and put that in next time. For example if you love dill weed, go ahead. Do it. I hate dill weed, so nothing I put on here will ever ever contain it. (On the other hand, if you like rosemary, you and I should be friends.)

I was cooking for two people with leftovers in mind (because who doesn't like meatloaf sandwiches?). I started with a whole bunch of ingredients:


The first step is to preheat the oven to 350F. Next, put the meat in the bowl. I have here roughly two pounds of ground beef. (I use beef; again, in the spirit of use what you have or what you like, go with turkey or anything else if you prefer). The one proportion that I will stick to is this: one egg for every pound of beef. It's quite necessary to stick with this, or the meat just won't stay together. It will be delicious, but it will be crumbly and not loafy. You have been warned.

Put the sauces and spices in with the egg and meat mixture. This is far from an exact science when it comes to measuring; for a two-pound loaf,I use about a quarter cup each of ketchup and barbecue sauce (flavored or not, it's based on what you like/have); and a little less tan that of mustard. The spices are a pinch of this and that; it's to-taste, so I'm not going to tell you how much you have to put in. For mine, I usually dust over the top of the mixture with each spice so it's powdery on top.


At this point, you should have everything in the bowl but the bread crumbs. This is where it gets messy... wash your hands and dive in. Mix it thoroughly, then wach your hands again to get the raw egg and meat of before moving on. It should look like this:


It's a bit of a wet mess at the moment (more of a meat puddle than loaf).Since we're not going for puddle, it's time to add the bread crumbs to thicken it up a bit. Start out with about half a cup and mix it in. You'll have to go by feel here to see if you need more; you want to be ale to shape it, but for it to still be nice and moist. Try making a little meatball out of it when you think it's ready. If it holds its shape, it's good. Don't be afraid to add more bread crumbs if you're unsure; more barbecue sauce can be added if you overdo it a little. Once it's a good consistency, shape it into a loaf in a baking pan. For a bigger loaf, I'd use a 9x13 dish, but I have a smaller one on hand for situations like this.


Bacon time!

Take the bacon in its handy pre-cut strips and place it, in neat little rows, across the loaf.


When you've finished, it will look something like this. It's probably about 1/3 lb. of bacon, all told.


I love bacon, so I cover the whole loaf, but it's by no means necessary. If you're not a fan (gasp!) or are watching your health, cut it. Adaptability, remember? (On second, thought, if you're watching your health, you should probably go ahead and make something else. It's tasty, not good for you.)

Stick the whole thing in the oven. It will be an hour until it's edible but a little wobbly; this is how I prefer it, a little pink in the middle but otherwise cooked, since I do the leftovers thing and don't want it to dry out too much. If you want it a little more well-done, leave it in for an extra ten to fifteen minutes.


Awesome. You're almost ready to eat this meaty monstrosity... but wait a minute, it looks a little lonely on the plate there. Let's make him some garlic bread so he doesn't have to sit there all alone!


Now, I'll say this here: don't make your own bread for this. You can, of course, if you want to, but I always buy mine from Jimmy John's. You can get a day-old roll there for 50 cents, which is way cheaper than the ingredients it would take to make it. If you don't have a Jimmy John's (or they're - gasp! - out of bread), get a baguette from the grocer's. This is an easy meal. We'll worry about making our own in the future. Maybe.

This will go into the same 350F oven as the meatloaf, so you can prepare this while the loaf is baking and stick it in when it's almost time for the meat to come out.

Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil for super-easy cleanup (highly, highly recommended here - the cheese and butter can melt all over the place). Cut the bread in half (I'm still cooking for two people) and put half away. It will keep for a few days wrapped in its paper inside a plastic bag. Cut the half you kept out into eight pieces and lay them on the cookie sheet. (Cut the very end off so it lays flat. Eat it. Or wait a minute and dip it into the extra garlic sauce and then eat it. Mmmmm.)


Put 4T butter (half a stick) in a microwave-safe bowl and melt it. It usually takes about 45 seconds on fu power in my microwave; it might be a little more or ess in yours, but don't ut it on for too long or it'ss pop in there and make a mess. Take it out (be careful, the bowl is probably very hot) and stir in a heaping 2t minced garlic and 2T Parmesan cheese.


Spoon the mixture onto the tops of the bread, spreading it as evenly as possible between the pieces. There will be some left over, so don't wory about globbing it all on there. (This is your opportuinity to taste-test - stick that bread end from before in here and chew happily.) When you're done buttering, break each slice of provolone cheese into quarters and put one slice on each piece of bread.


Stick it in the oven when there are ten minutes left on your loaf. It will come out looking like this:


At this point, everything should be out of the oven and delicious. Dig in, Use that extra butter as dipping sauce for your bread. Enjoy. You have conquered meatloaf (and, quite possibly, developed an addiction to garlic bread).


Meatloaf and Garlic Bread
The idea for these recipes is adaptability. This is the basic recipe that I follow, but if I have some fresh garlic I'll use that instead, or if there are some leftover peas in the refrigerator... you get the point.

Meatloaf
2 lbs. ground beef
2 eggs
Ketchup
Mustard
Barbecue sauce
Worcestershire sauce
Seasoned salt (I use Lawry's)
Garlic powder (or fresh garlic)
Onion powder (or chopped onions)
Other seasonings as you like
Bread crumbs
Bacon

Preheat oven to 350F.

Put all but the bread crumbs and bacon into a large mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly with your hands until everything is incorporated. Add bread crumbs until meat holds a shape. Form into a loaf in a baking dish. Cover in bacon.

Bake for 1 hour for tender, falling-apart loaf; 1h15m for firmer loaf.

Garlic Bread
1/2 baguette (I get mine from Jimmy John's)
4T (1/2 stick) butter, melted
2t minced garlic
2T Parmesan cheese
2 slices provolone cheese

Preheat oven to 350F.

Slice the baguette into eight equal-sized slices. Cut the very end of so the bread will lay flat. Lay on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil.

Melt the butter (45s) in microwave. Mix in Parmesan cheese and garlic. Spread evenly on bread slices. (There will be leftover butter.) Break provolone slices into quarters. Put one piece on each slice of bread.

Bake 10m or until cheese is melted but not burned.

Use extra butter sauce as dipping sauce. (It's also great as a mix-in if you're serving the bread with mashed potatoes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment